Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

11 April 2009

As you probably know, I enjoy reading. In the last few years, however, my usual 50/50 balance between fiction and non-fiction has made a swing in the latter direction. I always seem to be occupied with a book I “should” be reading, whether it’s research or work-related or studying. So I’ve somewhat lost the habit of reading just for fun. But lately I’ve discovered a way to bring balance back to my bookworming without sacrificing my necessary reading... audio books. I’d never listened to one in my life before the fall of last year, though I’d noticed them on the shelves in books stores for outrageous prices. Then before my trip to Europe last year I had the idea of downloading one from iTunes to listen to on the long plane ride. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand was my first purchase, and I discovered that the price for a digital download is quite reasonable. It turns out that I didn’t listen to it at all during the trip, but some time after I returned I gave it a try and liked it. Having the actual printed book, I rotated back and forth between reading and listening and found it easy to find my place when switching. It’s a lot slower when listening, naturally, since reading inside one’s head simply takes less time. But the advantage is that it’s easy to multitask. Listening while driving makes the time fly on those trips over 20 minutes (any trip over 20 minutes is considered very long by Rhode Island standards). And I also listen when cleaning up and doing dishes and other chores that don’t really require any thought. Just like when I have my nose in a book, I laugh at a clever sentence, and “re-read” a page I find particularly noteworthy. It’s a different experience for sure, but I am nearly as immersed as when face to face with ink and page. Since that first book, I’ve been catching up on other classics. I’m currently going through the entire Jane Austen collection, each of which I’ve found fascinating. The appeal for me is likely quite different than for the usual (and by that I mean female) Austen fan. The protagonist of every story is unique, but each shares the qualities I find most attractive in a woman... intelligent, perceptive, witty, and kind. And while they’re all described as pretty, it’s usually in that understated girl-next-door kind of way that I prefer. They are all just so deserving of happiness that the inevitable joyful ending (that Austen tries her best to make you think won’t happen) can’t help but bring forth a smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home