Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

07 November 2008

For you youngsters out there, boxing has never been a big-time sport. But there was a time when a top boxing match could rival the Super Bowl as a sports event. Being a part of the Rocky generation (I vividly recall coming home from the theater and shadowboxing in my room) got me into boxing as a fan, and the great fights of the 80s kept me one. I just finished a great book about that last great era of boxing, Four Kings by George Kimball. I couldn’t put it down. It chronicles the careers of Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler and the fights between those great fighters. The book brought back a lot of memories and also detailed the behind the scenes politics I was unaware of at the time. Anyone who was a fan of any of those guys or boxing in general should definitely pick up a copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home