Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

09 November 2005



This past weekend, for the first time in my life, I held a yard sale. And I must admit it was really fun. Well, the actual day of the sale was fun - the gathering and moving of stuff the week before the sale was about as much fun shoveling snow, but with less job satisfaction. A yard sale is a really interesting concept, where you're basically saying "come give me money for this junk that I don't want, and haul it away for free too." But it does seem to be a win-win for everyone involved. I got rid of much of my junk and made some extra cash, and the buyers seemed genuinely pleased to have the stuff and appreciated my low, low pricing. Most of them didn't even bargain. Of course, it helped that everyone was happy as we all enjoyed a beautiful sunny Saturday in November- I was even wearing shorts and a T-shirt because it was so warm. Even though my house is basically in the middle of nowhere, I had six or seven cars there at a time in the morning busy hours. And of course, there was the "early bird" who was "just passing by" and notice us setting up before the advertised time. Now, there is no one - I repeat, no one, that is "just passing by" on my road at 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday. But I smiled and gladly accepted a few bucks for a VHS copy of One Million years B.C. (which I must have bought because of my long-time love of dinosaurs and certainly not because of a young Rachel Welch) and some other small items. By the end of the day, most of my quality merchandise had been sold, and the few larger items were carried out to the end of the driveway and adorned with "free" signs in the hopes that someone will be "just passing by" and take them away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home