Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

13 September 2005


I love dogs. I always have and I suspect I always will. They have a purity that people only possess as young children, and have literally evolved to become amazingly loyal and loving companions. I really can't imagine life without dogs, and the thought of them being treated badly or suffering affects me profoundly.

Hurrican Katrina caused a lot of pain and suffering to the people in Louisiana and Mississippi, who have left their homes, their belongings, and their pets when they evacuated. I understand the necessity of traveling light to make room for more people, but I'd imagine it was terribly difficult for people to leave a treasured member of their family behind. Even worse than the thought of not being able to keep your pet would be the thought that they are probably consigned to a quite unpleasant death to starvation, all the while confused and scared as they try to find their "pack" in the chaos. I've heard reports that the sad sounds of distressed pets is constant throughout the city.

But there is some hope. Rescue workers are trying to save as many pets as they can. Their work is difficult, as scared animals can be dangerous and animal professionals are required to save them. Shelters in nearby areas are already overloaded by rescued animals and those given up by evacuees who don't have the means to care for them.

They need our help to save pets so that they may be cared for and reunited with their families, bringing much needed joy to people who have lost so much. I have donated and I hope you will too. Below are a few of the organizations that are actively involved in the rescue and care efforts.
American Humane Association
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Best Friends Animal Society
Houston SPCA
Humane Society of the United States
Louisiana SPCA
Noah's Wish
United Animal Nations

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home