Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

05 March 2007


It's time for a book roundup! I've been reading quite a bit lately, and mini-reviews are definitely in order. It's been all non-fiction lately, but four of the five have been first-person stories that were very easy reads. The fifth book is The American Revolution by Bruce Lancaster. The title says it all - it's a recap of the American Revolution. I was inspired to buy and read this book after reading 1776 last year and thinking "What happens next?" since that book only covers the titular year. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how little I knew about how this country came to be. The book was a bit on the dry side, naturally, but it moved along at a decent pace while still giving a thorough telling of the war. I recommend it to all history buffs. Steve Matchett is a color commentator for Speed, the cable TV channel that airs the Formula 1 races, and was once a mechanic for the Benetton F1 team (which has since become Renault F1). Since the start of the 2007 season is almost upon us, I read two of his book to give me a greater insight into the sport. The Chariot Makers details the technology and thought-process behind the design and manufacturing of F1 cars, which is particulary topical since all 11 F1 teams design and manufacturer their own cars at this time of year. It's a bit technical, but that's what I was looking for so I recommend it highly to diehard F1 fans. The Mechanics Tale is a bit more accessible to everyone, as it chronicles his time in the sport as a mechanic. A very interesting insider's look at the sport, which is rare since F1 teams make the CIA look like they have an open door policy by comparison. Bill Bryson is a favorite of mine, ever since I read A Walk in the Woods. His latest effort, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, deviates from his usual travel and adventure format and gives us a look at his childhood growing up in Des Moines, Iowa in the 1950s. This is truly a book for everyone, which is true of everything he writes. Not a must read, but I guarantee you'll have a few chuckles while traversing its pages. The final book, Marley and Me, I have already discussed in the previous post, but for those who have read it I just have one thing to say... Dog Beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home