Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

20 January 2006

It's book report time. I recently managed to find the time to read "The Great American Stay-at-Home-Wives Conspiracy" by Dan Merchant and B. Scott Taylor, and while I found it funny in spots I can't really recommend it on the whole. The book is about a guy who makes millions by selling his internet company and retires at 38 (we should all be so lucky). While hanging out at the country club and observing the wives of his friends, he begins to suspect that they are conspiring to control their husbands and the world. The rest of the book is about his efforts to uncover the consipiracy, but the story fizzles and gets a bit unreal at times. Still, there are enough good scenes that I think it would make a fun comedic movie - kind of a quirky, cult hit type.
The idea that women are totally organized and are running the world is an interesting concept, but is easily disproved. If the consipiracy was real, would a show like The Bachelor be on the air? The show takes one guy and has him date 25 beautiful women and one by one break their hearts until only one remains. The season that just started (yes, I'm ashamed to admit that I never miss an episode) started off with a bang. The locale is Paris (makes sense to me), and the Bachelor, who seems like a nice guy, is an ER doctor. One of the women is also a doctor, so she thinks she's a shoe-in to get a rose (which means she would advance to the next episode). She confides to the camera that she's excited and can't wait to meet him because "frankly, my eggs are rotting!" When she gets her time to talk with him, she lets him know that she's "ready for the next stage - the reproductive stage." Yes, that's how she said it. Bad enough to bring up having kids when you first meet someone, but to sound like a robot while doing so is just nutty. Naturally, she doesn't get a rose and amazingly she can't believe it. She confronts him and asks him why she wasn't chosen... to his credit he tells her the truth. Yes, it's not very nice but to me it's quality entertainment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home