Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

02 March 2006

Like most males, I like cars. I subscribe to more than one car magazine (Car & Driver is the best, though I really enjoy the design analysis in Automobile), and I love to go fast. In my youth, that meant driving fast on the road. But these days I'm not much of a speeder, and I'd like to keep my no-speeding-ticket streak going. Yes, I amazingly have zero speeding tickets (knocking on wood). Ironically, driving fast on a racetrack is one of the main reasons I've slowed down on the road. My brother Larry joined the Audi Quattro club a number of years ago and attended a "track event" at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, CT. A couple of days of instruction and driving as fast as he wanted on a purpose built road course and he was hooked. The rest of us bros then got involved over time. It's a lot of fun, and you learn a ton about what your car (and you) are capable of at speed. And it's not just for fun - this is the type of knowledge that can save your life by helping you avoid an accident that others wouldn't. Over the years we've also attending a winter driving school (locked my keys in the car on the top of a mountain in N.H. - oops!), and even a track event at NHIS on our sport bikes. It's a great time, and I've become a better driver from each experience. Of course, when we just want to play it's time to hit the go cart track. Sadly, each time we find a new favorite track, it closes down within a few years. First there was the track in Pawcatuck, CT that we were kicked off for rough driving (we didn't mind since we were on our last tickets), the "slick track" in Milbury, MA and the "3/4 scale Indycars" in Tewksbury, MA, which were very fun and fast though only for time trials and not actual racing. Let's hope a better fate awaits F1 Boston, where we just recently mixed it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home