Slices of time and space in my world

I don't have the foggiest idea as to what the purpose of this blog will be. So I will muddle along and see where it takes me. If you are bored enough to take this journey with me, then I pity you and welcome you all at once.

12 August 2007

I've always been a tennis fan. I can remember getting up early to watch the Wimbledon or French Open finals on Sunday mornings, and then becoming "fallout" as I was then inspired to pick up a racquet and play. My oldest brother Adam was kind enough to arrange for me to get tennis lessons when I was 12 or so, and ever since I've been a decent player. Besides struggling to be consistent with my backhand, I've always found that one of the hardest parts of playing tennis was calling whether shots were in or not. Sometimes it's simply hard to tell, so in the interest of fairness I only call it out if I'm sure it is - if I just "think "it is I let the play continue. Adam does the same when we play, so I'm not at a disadvantage (at least not in that way - he usually wins so I'm losing out somewhere). If you've watched tennis on television lately, you must have noticed the HP Hawkeye thing they use now for "instant replay" that allows the players to challenge the call made by the linesperson. I think it's hilarious. After a challenge, everyone looks to the ends of the court, where giants screens show the replay. The suspense builds, and then onto the display comes an animation that shows the ball landing in relation to the line. Sometimes the call is reversed and sometimes it is confirmed, but every time the players and crowd seem satisfied that justice has been done. Somehow I think some of the players I grew up watching wouldn't have been quite so accepting of the computer generated verdict. I can picture Lendl or Connors ranting on and on about it to the umpire, or McEnroe saying something like... "You gotta be f***ing kidding me! I'm gonna lose this game because of a f***ing cartoon!"

2 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they cut to the "replay" so seriously too... "yup, it was out!"

Next thing you know there will be a HP Hawkeye at NFL football games and you'll see a generic sneaker on the sideline either stepping out or just staying in...

Thanks for the tennis racket by the way! I can't wait to become fallout... where are my jeans and wiffle ball?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Next time I come up we'll have to hit it around a bit. I always have my rackets in the car, but I don't know if they can stand up to the power of "Barkley".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home